Workday Is Coming To Mines!
Workday Is Coming To Mines!
Go-Live Updated to July 1, 2023
Check out this short video to learn more about Workday:
Workday is an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) platform that will replace Banner for the Human Resources, Payroll, and Finance functions of our university. Many universities have implemented Workday because of its ease of use, system flexibility, and functionality specific to higher education.
Workday has a modern interface and stores everything in the cloud, eliminating the need for us to store and protect the data locally. Other benefits include a reduction of manual processes, consolidation and transparency of systems. Workday also provides the opportunity to work collaboratively with other higher education institutions to develop functionality to suit the unique needs of higher education. This means Workday allows the flexibility and room to grow.
Questions about Workday?
Contact us at Workday@mines.edu
|Workday vendor demos to Mines for Human Capital Management, Finance, and Student modules||June 2021|
|Workday Project Kickoff and Project Planning begins||September 2021|
|Workday Project Configuration begins||January 2022|
|Campus End User Training begins||May 2023|
|Go-Live at Mines for Human Capital Management and Finance modules||July 2023|
How will the switch to Workday impact Mines employees?
The employee functions that will move into Workday include:
- Hiring and onboarding of new employees (including student employees)
- Employee payroll
- Benefit enrollment for medical, dental, and retirement
- Timesheet entry and approval
- Leave (vacation, sick, etc.) requests and approvals
- Hourly time entry & approvals
- Employee Self-Service for updating personal information (address & phone), W4, direct deposits, etc.
- Reconciling OneCard activity (formerly Chrome River)
- Travel authorization and expenses
- Performance management and annual employee review process
- Research: Automated Time and Effort Certifications
- Real-time financials for research projects
- Recording all financial transactions
- Portal to Percipio online employee learning
Why is Mines moving to Workday?
Following a review of Mines’ existing systems in 2019, consultant BerryDunn recommended that Mines replace its existing Banner Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system with a comprehensive, intuitive, agile, and cost-effective system or re-implement Banner. With a new implementation, the consultants stated Mines would also have the opportunity to reduce third-party solutions, reduce duplication of staff effort, and configure robust integrations.
Mines submitted a request to the State IT Capital Budget Committee for re-envisioning our Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Student Information System (SIS) for consideration in the FY21-FY25 budget. After several months, our project was approved for funding in the FY22 state capital budget.
Mines is partnering with four other Colorado public universities (Metro State, Fort Lewis, Adams State, and Western) to implement Workday. Collaborating with the other institutions has allowed us to negotiate consortium pricing with a single vendor. In addition, this collaboration should not only help reduce costs but also yield implementation efficiencies across our individual universities in years ahead.
Mines’ current plan is to first implement the Human Capital Management (HCM) and Finance modules starting in July 2021, with a projected go-live date of July 1, 2023.
What are the benefits of Workday?
- Improved Experience: Workday will provide all our stakeholders with a dramatically improved technology experience with efficient transactional services to our staff and students.
- User Friendly: Workday’s user interface and forms are much more user friendly, mobile responsive, modern, refreshing, so much simpler than previous experience.
- Cloud-Based: Workday as a cloud solution will reduce the care and feeding of our current ERP system which is on-premise and managed by Mines IT Staff.
- Data Management: Workday provides Mines with an opportunity to re-evaluate how data is managed and used.
- Mobile Capable: Users can perform their necessary HR, Payroll, and Finance actions while using a smart phone or tablet.
- Improved Reporting: Workday will provide reliable data and reporting capabilities in real time, giving supervisors and unit leadership a better view of the information that they need to make important decisions for their units.
- Collaboration: All of Workday’s 1200+ customers are using the same version of the software, resulting in a community with unprecedented levels of communication and collaboration.
- Compatibility: Workday integrates with other Mines applications that we already use, and we have the flexibility to add more in the future.
” We must differentiate ourselves from the considerable competition and change in education style that we face and will be facing. That differentiation does not stop in the classroom; we must align our core infrastructure with who we are and where we are heading. “