Interlibrary Loan & Article Delivery
For Mines students, faculty, staff, qualified alumni, or members:
Getting Materials from Other Libraries
Need to get a book? A journal article? A document or a map?
But the Mines Library does not have it?
Who is Qualified to Request Materials
- Who is qualified to request materials?
- Current Mines students, faculty, and staff,
- Current Library members, and
- Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association members who are residents of Colorado and holders of a Mines Library Card.
How do I place requests to borrow materials?
Check the Library catalog first, then make a request via:
- Request form
- E-Mail, phone or fax – Include the complete citation and your personal information (name, contact phone number, CWID, etc.).
- Database-specific forms – Materials may be ordered through numerous electronic journal databases (such as WorldCat). Once in a database, please follow on-screen instructions. Further assistance is available at Library Reference.
What will it cost?
Cost will include Sales Tax where applicable.
- We try to get the material at no charge. If that’s not possible, you will be notified of the cost.
- Materials obtained out-of-state often have a fee.
- Alumni and Members are charged $10.00 per item in addition to any fees charged to us by other libraries.
Paying for Interlibrary Loan
- Materials must be paid for before they can be picked up.
- Cash, checks and major credit cards accepted.
- Interlibrary loans may be charged to departments; with a designated fund manager’s signature
Other Questions on Interlibrary Loans
How do I know if my request is still on order?
- Log into your Interlibrary loan account.
Will I be contacted if my request isn’t filled?
- Yes. You will be contacted by email with an explanation of why it wasn’t filled.
How long can I keep items from another library?
- Loan period may vary depending on loaning library policies.
Can my items be renewed?
- Some items may be renewed. Contact the Interlibrary loan office.
Additional Information for non-Mines Users
We lend articles, books, dissertations, etc., from the Arthur Lakes Library collection to individuals and other libraries around the state, country, and world.
- Check or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express).
- We do not accept wire transfers.
- All international orders must be prepaid.
- U.S. Postal Service (standard).
- Federal Express (additional shipping charge).
- Digital files on a CD/DVD mailed to you — Contact Digital Initiatives.
Basic Fees — Includes shipping, handling and sales tax where applicable
- Book loans, photocopies (U.S.) — $15.00/item
- Book loans, photocopies (international) — $25.00/item
- Rush orders (24 hours) — $10.00/request
- Fax charges — $1.00/page
Mines Theses & Dissertations
- Within Colorado — Print version via interlibrary loan.
- Outside of Colorado — Microfiche version via interlibrary loan.
- Order a copy of a thesis or dissertation for a fee — See Digital Initiatives.