MTC Student Information
Please refer to the Student Health Center’s COVID-19 Resources for current guidelines at Mines.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT COME TO THE TESTING CENTER IF YOU ARE SICK OR HAVE ANY COVID SYMPTOMS. Email your professor and the Mines Testing Center to arrange a reschedule/make-up exam.
Testing Center Hours & Location
Daytime Testing: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Evenings with Scheduled Common Exams: 5:30pm – 8:30 pm
Fall 2023 Final Exam Period: December 8-9 and 11-13, 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
**The Mines Testing Center follows the Mines Academic Calendar and does not administer exams on non-class, no assessments, or no academic activities days.
Location: Green Center, 2nd floor, Suite 240. The closest elevator is located on the northeast side of the Green Center’s main level and opens across the hall from the MTC suite.
(FAQ page is currently under construction)
Exam Sign-Up Deadlines
- Semester quiz, in-class, and common hour exam requests must be submitted at least 5 business days, or one calendar week, prior to the day and start time of the exam.
- Final exam requests for final exams scheduled during the Colorado School of Mines Registrar Final Exam period must be submitted by 5pm on Monday, November 20th.
- Late sign-ups: The MTC strives to process every late quiz/exam request. However, for various reasons, it is not guaranteed the MTC will be able to process all late quiz and exam requests.
Submitting Exam Requests
At the beginning of each term, students are responsible for sending Faculty Notification Letters to notify instructors that they plan to use alternative testing accommodations. After the letters have been sent, students can submit quiz and exam requests via the AIM Student Portal.
Daytime quiz and in-class exam Scheduling Expectations
Quizzes taking place at the beginning of class with a lecture following can be scheduled earlier as long as the end time overlaps with the regular quiz time. Otherwise, quizzes should be scheduled after the regular quiz time.
Quizzes taking place after a lecture and at the end of class can be scheduled a few minutes later to give students time to get to the MTC. Otherwise, quizzes should be scheduled after the regular quiz time.
In-class exams should be scheduled for the same start time as the regularly scheduled exam. If there is a time conflict, with professor approval, extra time can be added to the front end as long as the end time is the same time as the regularly scheduled end time otherwise they need to be scheduled after the regular exam time. Exams cannot be taken in its entirety prior to the regularly scheduled start time.
Please refer to the MTC procedures information on the right side for scheduling common hour exams and processes when students have scheduling conflicts.
Modify or Cancel Exam REquest
Students who need to edit or reschedule an exam request will need to go into AIM to modify the exam request. Students who no longer plan on taking a quiz or exam in the MTC need to go into AIM to cancel the exam request.
MTC Procedures for:
– Scheduling Conflicts
– Evening Common Hour Exam
– Scheduling Final Exams
What to do on the day of your exam
- If possible, arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled test time. This allows time for the proctor to check you in and disseminate exam-related information.
- Bring your BlasterCard (Mines ID card) or a driver’s license. This is how the proctor will verify your identity.
- Bring any exam-related materials that have been approved by your instructor (calculator, equation sheets, etc.).
What to Expect While Testing at the MTC
- The MTC has two large, reduced distraction testing rooms equipped with non-fluorescent lighting and test dividers. We have a third large, reduced distraction testing room that is a computer lab with 15 CSM lab computers and dual monitors. There are five small individual testing rooms for students who are approved for the private room accommodation. Occasionally, the MTC utilizes other rooms on campus to accommodate high volume testing (e.g. common hour exams and final exams.
- Students will store backpacks, cell phones (on silent or turned off), calculator covers, smart watches, ear buds, Bluetooth headphones, and any other belongings not allowed in the Testing Center in an MTC locker.
- If you have a question for your professor while taking your exam, immediately notify a proctor. The proctor will provide you with an Ask A Question form to write your question(s) legibly. When the proctor receives the form with your question(s), they will contact your instructor and provide instructor responses as soon as possible.
- If you have exam-related concerns (extra time calculated incorrectly, different exam instructions, missing an exam page, etc.) please inform a MTC staff member as soon as possible.
- If you need to exit the Testing Center to use the restroom or take a short break, notify a proctor.
Mines Testing Center
Mines Testing Center (MTC)
Green Center, Suite 240
924 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401
Front Desk Phone: 303-384-2532