About Mines Alert
The Mines Alert system keeps you informed in the event of a campus emergency or weather-related closure. This system is an emergency notification service that allows university officials to quickly communicate emergency messages to students, faculty and staff via cell phone text and voice messages, and Mines email.
Student email addresses and phone numbers are automatically uploaded into the system, but we ask that people periodically verify we have the correct information in the system. See instructions below.
Employee email addresses are automatically uploaded, however, employees must manually enter their cell phone number into the system. See instructions below.
To verify your contact number
Students (Undergraduate and Graduate)
- Log into my.mines.edu and click on the Banner General Self-Service tile
- Click on “Personal Information”
- Scroll down to Phone Number and verify that your cell phone number is listed under “Mines Emergency Alert Phone.”
- If you need to update/change the number, click on the pencil icon below the number to edit.
Employees (Faculty and Classified)
- Log into my.mines.edu and click on the Workday tile.
- In Workday, click on the person icon in the top right corner of the screen and select “View Profile.”
- Click on the “Contact” link in the menu (you may have to click “More” at the bottom of the list)
- Check that you have the correct cell phone number listed as “Mines Alert Primary” within the Phones section.
- If you need to change/update the number, click on the “Edit” button and navigate down to the Phone section to make the change.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my parents/family members also sign up?
No. However, you can enter a secondary phone number to receive alerts. Be aware that an identical emergency notification will be sent to every phone number you have entered into the system.
What if I don't have a cell phone?
Mines Alert messages also will be sent to all mines.edu email addresses. Emergency information will be posted on the mines.edu home page and if appropriate, a recorded message will be placed on the main campus switchboard line, 303-273-3000.
What kind of situations will this notification be used for?
Actual emergencies declared by Colorado School of Mines leadership, weather-related closures or delay, and other occasions that impact the campus community as deemed necessary by the administration. Additionally, a system-wide test is performed annually.
What do I do if I change my cell phone number?
To update your cell phone number in Mines Alert, follow the instructions above for verifying your contact number, via Workday (employees) or Self-Service Banner (students).
Learn more about general emergency procedures on the Mines Police Department website.