Pregnant and Parenting Information
Guidance applies to a range of specific educational activities and policies that affect pregnant and parenting students.
If you have questions regarding pregnancy or parenting resources, please contact our office.
- Institutions cannot discriminate on the basis of sex in admissions.
Programs and Activities
- Institutions may require such a student to obtain certification of a physician that the student is physically and emotionally able to continue participation so long as such certification is required of all students for other physical or emotional conditions requiring the attention of the physician.
- An institution which operates a portion of its educational program/activity separately for pregnancy students, admittance to which is completely voluntary on the part of the student… shall ensure that the separate program is comparable to that offered to non-pregnant students.
- To ensure a pregnant student has access to her education, institutions must make adjustments to the regular program for reasonable and responsive requests.
Excused Absences and Medical Leave
Institutions must excuse absences due to pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions for as long as the doctor deems the absences medically necessary.
Institutions must allow the student to return to the same academic status as before the student’s medical leave began, which should include giving students the opportunity to make up any work missed while the student was out.
Policies and Procedures
- Harassment: must be sufficiently serious to deny or limit a student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the educational program or activity.
- Pregnancy and Athletics
- Employment and Benefits: Institutions cannot discriminate in recruitment, hiring, rates of pay, job assignments, benefits or other terms of conditions of employment.