For Guard & Reserve

Attention: You may be eligible for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits.
(Important Note: Basic training and/or specialty schools do not count for active duty)

Step 1

Apply to Mines (Undergraduate Admissions / Graduate Admissions).

Step 2

Apply for benefits.
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® – Select Reserve
  • Chapter 1607 Montgomery GI Bill® – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Program ended November 2015, but you may qualify to receive restored benefits under Chapter 33 – the Post-9/11 GI Bill®)
  • Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®
Is this your first time using your GI Bill®? If yes, Complete and submit an application for VA Education Benefits, VA Form 22-1990 to the VA through VONAPP.
Are you transferring to Mines from another Institution? If yes, Complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 to the VA through VONAPP.

Step 3

Apply for Financial Aid through the FAFSA website and contact the Mines Financial Aid Office.

Step 4

If you are an undergraduate Colorado resident, apply for COF, and authorize the use of COF funds in your Trailhead account prior to Census Day.

Step 5

Submit the following to the VA School Certifying Officials (SCO), in the Registrar’s Office (

*This form must be completed each semester you wish to use benefits.


Federal TA – At this time, Mines does not accept funds from the Federal Tuition Assistance Programs.

State TA – Department of Military and Veterans Affairs



Additional Information

  • Copies of any written communication to the student from the VA must be provided to the Veterans Certifying Officials. This includes information concerning remaining eligibility, the percentage of tuition coverage, payment or overpayment of benefits.
  • If you are interested in attending another school while enrolled at Mines, you must see the Veterans Certifying Officials in the Registrar’s Office to request a parent institution letter.
  • According to Colorado law, institutions of higher education must verify that all enrolled students receiving benefits must verify lawful presence within the United States. If you are asked to do this, your military ID will suffice. You will only be asked to complete this verification once. We apologize for any inconvenience.
  • You may be asked to show your Social Security card if your Social Security Number was not provided on your Admissions application.
  • Remember each term to confirm your attendance via Trailhead.
  • In all cases, if information is missing, you will receive a request for information from the Registrar’s Office. Thank you for your cooperation with these requests.
  • Colorado School of Mines does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Contact Us

Mon-Fri, 9:00am-4:00pm

Veterans Services
Registrar's Office
Student Center E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

P: 303-273-3200
F: 303-384-2253