For Veterans & Dependents

Step 1

Step 2

Apply for benefits for the following programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Is this your first time using your GI Bill®? If yes, Complete and submit an application for VA Education Benefits, VA Form 22-1990 to the VA through VONAPP.
Are you transferring to Mines from another institution? If yes, Complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 to the VA through VONAPP

If you meet the eligibility requirements for Colorado in-state tuition rates, contact the Registrar’s Office for the appropriate process.

Step 3

Apply for Financial Aid through the FAFSA website. Tuition/Fee scholarships will apply to the student account before Veterans benefits and cannot be used for other types of expenses. Contact the Mines Financial Aid Office with questions.

Step 4

If you are an undergraduate, apply for COF, and ‘Lifetime Authorize’ the use of COF funds in your Trailhead account prior to Census Day. More information on what COF is can be found here:

Step 5

Complete the Benefit Request Form (BRF) on the main Veterans page: You must submit a BRF each term that you wish to use VA Benefits. To avoid late fees, this form must be submitted by Census Day.

You will be required to sign in using your Mines account to access the form. If you need to request benefits for a prior term, please email for which terms, and we will reach out to you with additional instructions.


If you believe you qualify for State or Federal Tuition Assistance, visit Federal and State Resources for more information and instructions.


Additional Information

  • Copies of any written communication to the student from the VA must be provided to the Veterans Certifying Official. This includes information concerning remaining eligibility, the percentage of tuition coverage, payment or overpayment of benefits.
  • If you are interested in attending another school while enrolled at Mines, you must go to the Registrar’s Office to request a parent institution letter.
  • According to Colorado law, institutions of higher education must verify that all enrolled students receiving benefits must verify lawful presence within the United States. If you are asked to do this, your military ID will suffice. You will only be asked to complete this verification once. We apologize for any inconvenience.
  • You may be asked to show your Social Security card if your Social Security Number was not provided on your Admissions application.
  • Remember each term to confirm your attendance via Trailhead.
  • In all cases, if information is missing, you will receive a request for information from the Registrar’s Office. Thank you for your cooperation with these requests.
  • Colorado School of Mines does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

To obtain the status of your claim:

(888) GI-BILL-1
Monday- Friday
6:00am – 4:00pm

Or send an electronic inquiry:
(24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

If you are eligible to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), your tuition and fees payments are sent directly to the school. Housing allowance, kickers, and books stipends are sent directly to eligible students.

Remember that your GI Bill® benefits are paid “in arrears,” this means that payments for January won’t be received until February.
Also, your first payment may not be for a full month, because you are paid from the actual day you start school, for example, if you start school August 23rd, your September payment will be for the 8 days you attended in August.

Colorado HB-1039

Beginning with the 2009-10 academic year, House Bill 09-1039 requires higher education institutions to adopt a policy granting honorably discharged military members in-state tuition status and allows such institutions to grant in-state tuition status for dependents of an honorably discharged military service member when the military member moves to Colorado. Those granted in-state tuition status under the act must maintain residency in Colorado and become eligible to receive a stipend from the College Opportunity Fund starting with the 2011-12 academic year. Under current law, enlisted members of the military who are stationed in Colorado may receive the resident tuition rate for themselves or their dependents, while all others, including honorably discharged veterans, who move to Colorado must wait 12 months before becoming eligible for in-state tuition status.

Under HB 09-1039, members of the military and their spouses and dependents do not lose in-state tuition status if the military member retires or separates from the military and remains in Colorado. In addition, in instances where a dependent of an active-duty military member receives in-state tuition status based on the fact that the military member was on active duty in Colorado during the dependents last year of high school, the dependent maintains in-state status under the bill if the military service member transfers out of Colorado or retires or separates from the military and remains in Colorado.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Contact Us

Mon-Fri, 9:00am-4:00pm

Veterans Services
Registrar's Office
Student Center E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

P: 303-273-3200
F: 303-384-2253