Students in the Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering program undergo rigorous instruction in fluid mechanics, heat and mass transport, thermodynamics, reaction kinetics and chemical process dynamics and control, preparing them to design and manufacture a wide variety of products on a large scale. These products include pharmaceuticals, paper, petrochemicals, polymers and more, and graduates work in diverse fields such as traditional and renewable energy, health care and manufacturing. Students can pursue specialty tracks in process engineering, which focuses on industrial-scale methods in areas such as chemical and fuels production; biological engineering, which applies engineering principles to biological systems for the creation of products such as pharmaceuticals and biomass-based energy; and honors research, which boosts one’s credentials for graduate school or research positions.
Visit the Chemical Engineering website.
In addition to contributing toward achieving the educational objectives described in the CSM Graduate Profile and the ABET Accreditation Criteria, the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department at Mines has established three program educational objectives for all of its graduates. Our graduates within 3 to 5 years of completing their degree will:
- Be in graduate school or in the workforce utilizing their education in chemical engineering fundamentals
- Be applying their knowledge of and skills in engineering fundamentals in conventional areas of chemical engineering and in contemporary and growing fields
- Have demonstrated both their commitment to continuing to develop personally and professionally and an appreciation for the ethical and social responsibilities associated with being an engineer and a world citizen
Chemical and Biological Engineering Curriculum
- Biomedical Engineering
Common industries include:
- Manufacturing/Consumer Products
Skills utilized to improved technical products such as:
- Ultrastrong fibers, fabrics and adhesives
- Biocompatible materials for implants and prosthetics
- Films for optoelectronic devices
“I chose Mines the minute I stepped foot on campus. Mines is a collection of people that are all about collaboration and coalition. Every professor is truly there to help you succeed in your goals. Also, being in the foothills of the Rockies means that the outdoor activities around Mines are endless!”
Chemical Engineering Student
Mines’ financial assistance program awards more than $60 million per year, and over 82 percent of the student body receives some form of financial aid.
Mines by the Numbers
median pay for chemical engineering in 2019, Bureau of Labor Statistics
Public College with Highest Return on Investment, Money Magazine, 2018
A Student Experience Like no Other
At Mines, we inspire students who are driven to be innovators and advance the knowledge of those who want to address today’s greatest challenges.