Protection of Minors

The Protection of Minors on Campus at Mines is here for your information and resources are available on this page.  If you have any questions or concerns regarding activities, programming, or protecting the Minors that come to campus, please feel free to contact the Compliance & Policy Office. Always Protect the Child.  We report at Mines.

Read the Policy on the Protection of Minors on Campus.

Submit a Program or Activity

Activity Registration

  • Register for all events separately to obtain space and approval. If minors are involved, make sure to register for space and communicate with Compliance & Policies to file proper documentation.
  • Check the events calendar.

Computer Labs

  • Are you planning to use a Mines computer lab with your group? See below to ensure your lab is reserved appropriately:


Training of all employees and students having contact with Minors on campus or off-campus and sponsored by Mines is required prior to contact.  For an in-person training, contact the Compliance & Policy Office. The Program Director/Hosting Department is responsible for the training and tracking of compliance.


Background Checks

  • To apply for a current/updated background check (employees only), follow the link to the HR Forms page and select Background Disclosure/Authorization to complete your approval for the process.  Please allow two (2) weeks for the processing.
  • Program Director or Hosting Department is responsible to ensure that all background checks are processed prior to working on a Mines’ program or activity with minors.  If you are not a U.S. citizen, this process requires additional time, so please do not delay your submission.
  • For more information, the Background Investigation Policy is available in the Policy Library.
  • Student Orgs:  “Non-university organizations and entities that operate non-university Programs on campus (including, but not limited to Recognized Student Organizations, lessees, etc.) are obligated to be familiar with this policy, ensure their staff, volunteers and participants are familiar with this policy, and take appropriate precautions to protect Minors participating in or attending their programs.” (See Minors policy §4.4).


If you reasonably suspect that a minor/child has been subjected to abuse or neglect in a Mines’ program or on campus, then:

  • Immediately contact the Office of Public Safety (Mines Police) at 303-273-3333
  • In the event of an emergency, please dial 9-1-1 for assistance
  • SpeakUp@Mines hotline is available 24/7 for your convenience.  For more information, please see the submission form or dial toll-free 1-855-363-0857.

    External Resources

    • For non-Mines assistance, contact 1-844-CO-4-Kids to report child abuse and neglect.
    • The Colorado Office of Children Youth and Families has additional information on abuse and neglect.
    • Insurance options for Tenants/Lessess, through URMIA-TULIP at Please select “Get a Quote” – State of Colorado – Colorado School of Mines.


    What are the steps I need to take to register a program/activity with minors on campus?

    1. Read the Policy.
    2. Complete the online form for the program at least 2 weeks in advance of the activity.
    3. Ensure all personnel have appropriate background checks submitted through HR page.
    4. Train all personnel on how to recognize abuse/neglect and how to report at Mines.
    5. Report a reasonable suspicion of abuse or neglect of a child to the Campus Police @ 303-273-3333.

      [Back to FAQ]

    Do student organizations on campus need to know the school policies?

    Non-university organizations and entities that operate non-university programs on campus (including, but not limited to Recognized Student Organizations, lessees, etc.) are obligated to be familiar with this policy, ensure their staff, volunteers and participants are familiar with this policy, and take appropriate precautions to protect Minors participating in or attending their programs.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Why did Mines adopt this Policy?

    Mines is committed to the safety of all individuals in its community and has a particular concern for those who are potentially vulnerable, including minors who require special attention and protection. The Protection of Minors on Campus Policy was adopted to provide guidance for our community-at-large when children and teens are participating in a Mines’ sponsored program, as well as for our enrolled students who may be under the legal age of 18 years.

    [Back to FAQ]

    What steps are required by Mines’ policy?

    All programs occurring on campus or sponsored by Mines’ employees as a Mines’ program must be registered with the Compliance & Policy Office.  Background checks will be required for Mines’ faculty and staff as well as student-employees or volunteers participating in the sponsored program.

    [Back to FAQ]

    What is the definition of a Minor?

    A minor is any person under the age of eighteen (18) years in Colorado.  Do not confuse with “miner” as that refers to a person who works in a mine.

    [Back to FAQ]

    What programs are covered by the policy?

    This policy provides broad safeguards intended to better protect minors when they are on the University campus, participating in University programs and activities designed to include minors, or when they are in the care of University personnel, volunteers, or contractors.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Are there programs or activities that are not covered by the policy regarding minors?

    The policy does not apply to programs exclusively offered to regularly admitted and enrolled students at Mines’ even if some of the participants are minors (under 18). Those requirements do not apply to events that are open to the general public (such as theater performances, sporting events, or carnivals) where parents or guardians are expected to provide supervision of minors in their care.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Are student organizations required to comply with the policy?

    Yes.  The policy establishes requirements for non-university organizations and entities, including but not limited to Recognized Student Organizations, that operate non-university programs or activities designed to include minors. Recognized Student Organizations include a student organization or club (club activity, club sport) registered with the Board of Student Organizations.  Since Student Organizations are considered external for purposes of the policy they must determine how they will comply with the policy.

    [Back to FAQ]

    What is abuse or neglect of minors?

    In summary, child abuse and neglect means an act or omission that threatens the health or welfare of a person under 18 years of age. As defined in Colorado state statute (C.R.S. § 19- 1-103). Please consult the statute for a full definition.

    [Back to FAQ]

    How do I report my suspicion of abuse/neglect under the policy?

    If you reasonably suspect that a minor/child has been subjected to abuse or neglect, please do not delay and report that immediately to the Public Safety Office (campus police) at 273-3333 or dial 9-1-1 in case of emergency.  If you are hosting a program or activity on campus, also contact either the Office of the Provost or the Office of the Vice President of Student Life immediately after reporting to Public Safety.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Can someone come in and train me or my group on the information?

    Yes.  Please contact the Compliance & Policy Office and arrange for training at your location.  Also, there are materials posted above that you can utilize to review with your group. Training is a required portion of the activity prior to contact with Minors on campus.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Are there other resources for training or information available?

    Yes.  The State of Colorado has excellent resources on abuse and neglect.  There is a training module available for teachers and other mandatory reporters if you want more information.  See  Also, the Colorado Child Abuse Prevention line may be called 1-844-CO-4-KIDS (264-5437) to report child abuse and neglect anywhere in Colorado.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Do I need to register when I have a high school student shadowing or working in my lab?

    Yes.  You need to ensure that all the steps are taken to protect that child as well.

    [Back to FAQ]

    Who do I contact with questions or for registration issues?

    Any questions or registration inquiries should be emailed to  Feel free to stop by the office and ask if you are nearby.

    [Back to FAQ]


    Other questions or concerns? Please contact