Mines’ Policy Library
This website provides centralized access and organization for policies at Mines. Policies are governing principles that are formally approved to provide assistance in the conduct of institutional affairs and operations.
Board of Trustees Policies
The Colorado School of Mines Board of Trustees has legal control and management of the School and its property and may make any bylaws or regulations for the management and governance of the School not inconsistent with state law (§ 23-41-104(1), C.R.S. (2012)). To that end, the following policies have been promulgated and/or approved by the Mines Board of Trustees:
Campus-wide Administrative Policies
There are a variety of other administrative policies at Mines promulgated by the President, Vice Presidents, and other chief administrators (e.g., chief information officer, associate vice president of human resources). Campus-wide administrative policies generally apply broadly and have an impact on a substantial segment of the campus population.
These policies may do any of the following:
- Authorize or constrain actions to enhance the university mission and operational efficiency;
- Mitigate and manage institutional risk;
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
Campus-wide administrative policies by subject:
- Academic: Faculty Handbook, Academic Procedures, Student Bulletins…
- External Relations: Media, Marketing, Government Relations…
- Facilities, Property and Safety: Parking, Facilities Use, Firearms, Chemicals…
- Financial: Travel, Procurement, Cash Handling, Budget…
- Human Resources: Personnel files, Overtime, School Closure…
- Information Technology: E-Mail, Data access, Security…
- Research: Intellectual Property, Budget Exception, Direct Charging…
- Student: Honor Code, Disciplinary Action, Campus Housing…
Mines’ Policy Processes
Mines’ policies are created and revised through one of the following mechanisms:
- Faculty Handbook Committee
- Campus-wide Administrative Policy Process
The processes include the opportunity for constituent review of new or updated policies.
New Campus-wide Administrative Policies should be written using the common template, download here. See also PDF template. The template serves as a guide to help members of the Mines’ community write and create a structure for policies in development. Older administrative policies will be moved into this template over time.
Mines Policy Style Guide
For more on policy writing, please see the style guide.