Graduate Admissions: Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I apply?
Current Mines Students, Alumni, Staff and Faculty, click here for more information about applying.
Graduate Application Requirements for Degree Seeking, Non Degree Seeking and Certificate Applicants, click here for more information about applying.
Foreign Exchange Graduate Information, click here for more information about applying.
When will I receive an admissions decision?
Graduate studies application decisions are made by the individual academic departments, not the Office of Admissions. If you would like to check the status of your completed application, please review your status in your Applicant Portal and contact the program (https://gradprograms.mines.edu/) you are applying to if your decision is still pending.
How to Submit Required and Supplemental Documents
After submitting your application, you will gain access to your Applicant Portal. Your Applicant Portal will allow you to monitor what you are still missing for a completed application, submit documents, self-report test scores, and ultimately receive your admissions decision. Documents you will be able to upload include:
- Unofficial transcripts
- Statement of purpose
- Test Score Report (this document type is for reference only; in order to complete your test score requirements, you must enter the scores on the respective application page.)
- ‘Other’ supplemental application materials
Note that references/letters of recommendation must be submitted by the recommenders you provide in this application. Recommenders will be granted access to their own portal for that purpose.
Missing Application Materials?
Once your application has been submitted you will be able to review the status of your application in your Applicant Portal.
You uploaded your Official/Unofficial Transcripts but your checklist still shows them as not received?
There could be a few reasons:
- You uploaded them in the last 24-48 business hours. We review transcripts before they are reflected on your portal.
- We received your transcript but the transcript was too low of a resolution and we are unable to review it. You will need to resend a higher resolution copy of the transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org or reupload them to the portal. Please note that we are unable to complete your application file until this documentation is received.
- We received your transcript and because your name and/or the name of the University are not included on the transcript, we are unable to use it for review. Please resend a copy of the transcript containing this information to email@example.com or reupload them to the portal. Please note that we are unable to complete your application file until this documentation is received.
Your Official/Unofficial test scores are uploaded but not reflected on your checklist as fulfilled?
There could be a few reasons:
- If you uploaded your scoresheet in the last 24-48 business hours. We review scores before they are reflected on your portal.
- Your test scores were no longer valid. GRE scores are valid for 5 years and English Language Scores are valid for 2 years.
- If you submitted English Language scores that are valid, your score may not meet the minimum requirement. Please view the requirements here: https://www.mines.edu/graduate-admissions/admissions-requirements/ under ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY).
Is the test of English Language Required (International Applicants)?
Please visit https://www.mines.edu/graduate-admissions/admissions-requirements/ and click the ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY) section for more information about the requirement. We do not offer conditional admissions based on the English Proficiency requirement or waivers of the exam.
Can I have my GRE/GMAT or English Language requirement waived?
The Admissions Office does not waive GRE/GMAT requirements. Please verify that the GRE/GMAT is required for your application by checking the program specific admissions requirements. If the GRE/GMAT is required and you wish to request a waiver, please reach out to your Program of interest.
Proof of English Language:
Please refer to the tests accepted, score requirements and list of other ways to prove English proficiency here: https://www.mines.edu/graduate-admissions/admissions-requirements/ under ENGLISH PROFICIENCY (INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY). There are no other acceptable ways to prove English proficiency the ones listed on the website above.
Funding and Financial Aid
Aid for Graduate School is usually provided through a Teaching Assistantship (TA) or Research Assistantship (RA). Both Assistantships are generally awarded to Masters and PHD level applicants. You will be reviewed for a TA and/or RA during the application review process, this does not require a separate application.
You can find more information about other types of financial aid here – https://finaid.mines.edu/graduate-students/.
You can find the financial aid frequently asked questions here – https://finaid.mines.edu/current-students-faq/.
Can I have my application fee waived?
The Admissions Office does not waive applications fees. If you wish to request an application fee waiver, please reach out to your Department of interest.
What are the application deadlines?
Application deadlines vary by program and semester. You will find our application deadlines here – https://www.mines.edu/graduate-admissions/deadlines/.
Is the GRE Required?
The GRE/GMAT requirement varies by program and degree-level. You can verify if the GRE/GMAT is required for your application by checking the program specific admissions requirements. The GRE is currently not required for the Masters Non-Thesis programs.
Final Official Transcripts and Diplomas
If you were admitted and need to know how to submit Final Official Transcripts or why your official transcripts were not marked “Final Official Transcripts”, please review the information in the Graduate Student Checklist. You are able to access this through your Applicant Portal. You will find this information in the Final Official Transcripts and Diplomas section.
Been Admitted and Not Sure What's Next
Check you applicant portal and view the “Graduate Student Checklist”. You will find information on how to submit your enrollment form, submitting Final Official Transcripts, registering for classes and much more.