International First-Year Admissions

To be considered for admission, you must complete secondary school, earn superior marks in academic subjects and receive a certificate of completion that grants you admission to university-level studies in your country. All first-year applicants are considered using the same eligibility requirements and are included in the same selection process, regardless of being an international or domestic applicant. Learn about the requirements for specific countries and educational systems below.


The 2020 First-Year Admissions Application is Open!


Academic requirements

To be a competitive candidate for admission to the Mines, we recommend at least a B average or a 3.00 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 scale.

Mines does not require SAT/ACT results for international students unless you are planning to play a NCAA sport. However, submitting SAT/ACT results may increase your chance of admission, and can be used to prove English proficiency.

Admission Information for Specific Countries and Educational Systems

The information in this section is intended to supplement admission requirements for first-year and transfers, not replace them.

  • 13-Year Educational Systems: If pre-university education is 13 years long in your country, you must complete all 13 years before entering Mines. You must graduate from secondary school in your country earning a certificate of completion that enables you to attend a university in your country. Admission to Mines is not offered prior to completion of the 13th year.
  • British System and Singapore: You must complete at least 5 IGCSE/GCSE/GCE O Levels, and at least 3 GCE A Levels to be considered for admission. AS levels will also be considered. If you receive A, B or C grades on your GCE A level examinations, Mines may consider granting you transfer credit toward your bachelor’s degree. The exact credit amount will be determined after you have been formally admitted and provide your official certificate.
  • India and Pakistan: You must complete your standard XII years of education and sit for 10th and 12th year board/state examinations.
  • International Schools: Your international school must have an appropriate level of recognition in the educational system it follows. You must also be earning a certificate of completion that will allow you to enter a university in that educational system. If your international school follows a U.S. curriculum, your school must have U.S. accreditation and you must graduate with a U.S. high school diploma or an equivalent credential.
  • International Baccalaureate: If you are completing your IB diploma or simply taking some IB courses, make sure to report your IB status in your application. 
  • Malaysia: You must complete your SPM and STPM or A Levels to be considered for admission.
  • Sri Lanka: You must complete Sri Lankan GCE O and A Levels. You may also complete O and A Levels through a British Examination Authority.
  • New Zealand: You must complete Form 7 earning your Higher School Certificate. If you will be receiving a Bursary or NCEA Level 3, please indicate this in your application.
English Proficiency Requirements

Applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores (Colorado School of Mines institution code: 4073): Students whose native language is not English must submit acceptable TOEFL scores as part of the application process. Mines requires a minimum score of 550 paper-based test or 79 Internet-based test with minimum section scores as shown below. Tests must have been taken within the past two years to be accepted.
  Internet TOEFL  (iBT) Paper TOEFL (PBT)
      Reading 20 54
      Listening 21 55
      Writing 17 55
      Speaking 21 N/A
      Total 79 550
  • Minimum overall band of 6.5 with no band below 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: Minimum overall score of 53 with no communicative skills score below 50.
 Exceptions to the English (TOEFL/IELTS/Person Test) Requirement:
  • Applicants who have completed their junior and senior years in a U.S. high school with SAT Verbal score of 550 or ACT English score of 23.
  • Applicants who have completed a minimum of 48 transferable semester credits including 6 credits of freshman English composition at a U.S. college or university with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Applicants holding a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
  • Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements, and ACT and/or SAT results.
Personal statements and letters of recommendation (optional)

If you wish, you may submit a personal statement essay with your application to explain special circumstances in your life that have affected you or your education. Use the Personal Statement section of the online application to submit your essay, or after 24 hours, you will receive a link to your Applicant Portal where you can also upload an essay.

Letters of recommendation are not required for admission to Mines as an undergraduate but can be included in support of your application for admission. If you want to add a letter of recommendation to your application, we recommend the letter be submitted by an academic reference (teacher or counselor), be no longer than one page, and be emailed directly to 

Demonstrating financial resources

Providing proof of financial resources is only required if you are admitted to Mines. You do not need to provide financial documents during the first part of the application process. Once you are offered admission, you will work with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to submit your financial documents. According to U.S. government regulations, all applicants who need a student visa to study in the U.S. must demonstrate they have sufficient funds to pay for tuition costs and living expenses while at Mines. Students demonstrate sufficient funds by submitting a bank statement, certificate of balance, scholarship letter or any combination of the three. Financial documents must have been prepared within the last 6 months. Students must also complete and sign the Statement of Support. The ISSS office, not Admissions, processes all financial documentation for immigration purposes. Please contact the ISSS office with any questions.

Steps to Apply