Submit a SURF project
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF@MINES)
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program at the Mines seeks to provide funding for current undergraduate students to participate in concentrated, full-time research under the mentorship of the Mines faculty. This fellowship is open to students of all disciplines. In addition to focusing on an in-depth research project, students will also have the opportunity to attend professional development seminars with the SURF and NSF REU cohort students.
Faculty Project Proposal Application OPENS: February 15th, 2024
Faculty Project Proposal Application Deadline: March 15th, 2024
Student Applications for SURF OPENS: mid March 2024
Student Applications for SURF CLOSES: April 12th, 2024
SURF awards announced: April 26th, 2024
– The SURF program provides a $4,000 scholarship for Mines undergraduates to conduct full-time research over the summer months. Mines faculty mentors participating in this program are required to contribute $1000 towards the student stipend and the office of Undergraduate Research Scholars will contribute $3000 – totaling $4000 per student award.
– The student is expected to conduct 300 hours of research (e.g. 30-40 hours for 7-10 weeks). Ultimately, the timeline is flexible so long as it adds up to 300 total hours.
– The student can consult with the faculty mentor and decide on the project timeline which should be included in the SURF mentee application. The SURF project should end by Aug 20, 2024.
– All Mines faculty are eligible to submit a SURF project.
– Please note that students may not receive course credit for the SURF program. This includes a thesis course and an independent study course. Time spent on research conducted for SURF must be separate from research conducted for credit.