Undergraduate Research Ambassadors
Undergraduate Research Ambassadors (URAs) are peer ambassadors with experience navigating research at Mines. In addition to hosting and attending events pertaining to undergraduate research, they serve as in invaluable resource to current and prospective students interested in conducting undergraduate research at Mines.
Click the image below to meet our ambassadors!
NETWORK WITH peers
Undergraduate Research Ambassadors are privy to networking opportunities with peers, faculty, and staff at Mines as well as with other nationally recognized undergraduate research programs.
gain professional skills
Being an Undergraduate Research Ambassadors reflects highly upon participants and gives students the opportunity to cultivate their educational and professional goals.
TRAVEL TO CONFERENCES
Undergraduate Research Ambassadors are eligible to receive a travel grant to present at conferences throughout the United States. Attending conferences is an invaluable experience for any researcher.
TO BE ELIGIBLE YOU MUST:
- Have at least two semesters of undergraduate research experience.
- Be graduating in spring 2024 or later.
- Have maintained a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Possess outstanding oral communication skills.
- Be able to enthusiastically describe your undergraduate research to a general audience.
- Be willing to serve as a source of information about the various undergraduate research opportunities at Mines.
- Be willing to attend trainings and regular meetings.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A URA Include:
- An enthusiastic willingness to help facilitate the Undergraduate Research Scholars Student Organization (URSSO). For more information on URSSO, please read the toggle labeled, “URSSO: A URA’S ROLE”.
- Attend regular group meetings. These meetings usually take place once every two weeks.
- Participate in up to 10 hours of flexibly scheduled activities per semester – including facilitating workshops, advising students, participating in undergraduate research programs, and making presentations to classes and student organizations.
- Maintain professionalism, interpersonal skills, and technical skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please review the eligibility requirements and expectations mentioned above.
- Gather required information and documents, including your resume/CV.
- The application deadline is rolling but is usually updated on an annual academic year basis. Thus, it is best to submit an application around November (for spring) or July (for fall). You will be notified before the beginning of the fall semester and/or spring semester regarding your application status and the next steps.
URSSO: A URA's Role
The Undergraduate Research Student Organization was founded in 2020 by the 2019-2020 URA cohort. URSSO is a student lead organization intended to connect students interested in research with peers currently conducting undergraduate research at Mines. Anyone interested in research can join the organization. Annually, URSSO attends and hosts events related to undergraduate research.
Though student officer positions are elected, URAs often function as peer leaders for URSSO. In order to be a URA, you must be willing to participate and help in the growth of Undergraduate Research Scholars Student Organization.
For more information and/or to join URSSO, please visit our Engage webpage: https://mines.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/undergraduate-research-scholars