Veteran Services FAQs


Q: This is my first semester at Mines, what do I need to submit?

    • Regardless of which chapter of VA Education Benefits you are using, you will need to submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This will be required in order to use your benefits at Mines and you will only need to submit it once. More information on how to begin the process to apply for benefits can be found here:
    • Once you are approved to use VA Education Benefits and you receive your COE, you can submit it online through our, “Documents Upload Form”, located on the Veterans website:
    • Finally, you must also submit a Benefits Request Form (BRF) for each semester you wish to use your benefits. The BRF can be found here:

Q: What is a BRF?

    • BRF stands for “Benefit Request Form.” This form must be completed each semester you wish to use your benefits (Fall, Spring, and Summer). The BRF should be completed AFTER a student has finalized their schedule for the semester. If there are any changes to a students schedule they must notify us immediately as this can affect how we certify for the semester and impact payment.

Q: Where can I submit my other military documents (COE, Sponsored Student Agreement Form, DD-214, Primary School Letter, etc.)?

Q: Do I have to use Mines Student Health Insurance Plan? What if I already have health insurance?

    • You do not have to use the health insurance that Mines offers if you have your own health insurance. If you plan on using your own you are REQUIRED to complete the health insurance waiver. More information on the health insurance waiver and deadline to submit can be found here:



Q: Will the VA pay the school for my housing costs?

    • No, the VA does not pay Mines directly for housing costs. Housing stipends vary based on your VA Education benefit. For those eligible to receive a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA), this will be paid directly to you.

Q: I can’t pay my room and board fees up front and am relying on my Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA), what can I do?

    • You have two options: (1) Take out a loan for housing and pay it off as you received your MHA. OR (2) set up a payment plan with the Bursar’s office. Information on how to do this can be found here: If you have further questions, you can contact the Bursars Office at 303-273-3158 or email



Q: It is after the payment deadline for the semester and I see a balance on my account, what do I do?

    • If you have been pre-certified for the semester, nothing! We process payments from the VA after census day each semester. You will not be charged late fees while this is in process.

Q: Does Mines participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

    • No, Mines does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Q: What is COF?


Transfer Credit:

Q: I have completed previous military education and training, will this count towards my degree?

    • Maybe. In an effort to provide the maximum amount of credit for your previous education and training, Mines has established a review of military education and coursework. You will need to submit official copies of your transcripts from military schools for review. For more information, please visit

Q: How do I submit my military transcript for review?

Q: I am transferring to Mines from another school, what do I need to submit?

    • Follow the steps below:
      • 1. Submit a Request for Change of Program through the VA. More information can be found on our website:
      • 2. Once the Request for Change of Program is processed by the VA you must email the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to
      • 3. Lastly, after you register for your courses at Mines you must complete the Benefit Request Form (BRF) located on the Veterans website: You will be required to submit the BRF every semester you wish to use your benefits.

Q: I am a Mines student, but want to take summer classes at a community college. Can I use my VA benefits to cover those?

    • Yes! Follow the steps below:
      • 1. Meet with your advisor to determine what courses you can take at your preferred community college that will successfully transfer and count towards your degree.
      • 2. Email the following to (1) your full name and CWID, (2) name of the community college you are attending, (3) list of course/s you will be taking at there (example: SOC 2007, ECO 2002), and (4) which courses they are equivalent to at Mines (example: HASS 200, EBGN 201).
      • 3. Once received, we will email you a Parent Letter (sometimes called a Primary Letter) to give to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO) at your community college.


Don’t see an answer to your question? Please contact us at