Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

We support the educational mission of Colorado School of Mines and the academic success of our students by offering high-quality health insurance at a reasonable cost.

The 23-24 waiver/enrollment period is closed.


Health Insurance For Students

Colorado School of Mines is committed to the health and well-being of all of its students. Good health is essential to academic success which is why we provide health care coverage to all enrolled degree-seeking domestic students, and all international students, regardless of degree status.


You will not show in the system until after you have completed registration.  Please check back to the AHP site after that time.


Coverage requirements and option to waive insurance
Mines requires all students to have adequate health insurance as a condition of enrollment. No distinction is made for part-time versus full-time status. Degree-seeking U.S. citizens and permanent resident students who demonstrate coverage that meets Mines’ requirements may waive the health insurance provided by Mines using the online enrollment/waiver system. Information on coverage requirements can be found on the Measure Up page.


Annual Enrollment or Waiver Required

A student’s enrollment into the Student Health Insurance Plan is an annual selection. The enrollment selection that the student chooses is binding for the entire academic year, including summer. Please review this website for eligibility, benefits and termination information on the Mines Student Health Insurance Plan.


Students who experience a “qualifying event” (such as losing their insurance due to change in employment status or age) may enroll in the the SHIP within 30 days of the qualifying event.  The SHIP premium will be prorated for this type of enrollment. Please contact with questions.


How to Waive
If you have other adequate health insurance and would like to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan, you must go online to and complete the online waiver by the deadline dates.  The Annual/Fall waiver period begins July 15, 2023 and the waiver deadline is September 6, 2023. The Spring/Summer (new students) waiver period opens December 15, 2023 and the deadline to waive is January 24, 2024. Students need to waive or enroll once each academic year.


Step-by-step guide to enroll/waive


Late waivers are accepted until October 6, and are subject to a $125 late fee. You will need to provide valid proof of health insurance coverage to waive SHIP. Late waivers will be reviewed through a formal appeals process.


Unless otherwise specified in the current brochure, the following students, as a condition of enrollment, must have health insurance that meets or exceeds Mines’ coverage requirements:

  • All degree-seeking students, regardless of credit hours. (Online only students are not eligible for the SHIP)
  • All International Students (F and J visas), regardless of degree-seeking status, must purchase the SHIP, unless they meet specific requirements to waive.


Coverage is through United HealthCare, utilizing the nationwide UHC Choice Plus PPO network.


Rates for the 2023-24 Academic Year

  • Annual $2494 billed half ($1247) Fall Semester & half ($1247) Spring Semester (coverage 8/1/23-7/31/24)
  • Spring/Summer 2024 $1451 (coverage 1/1/24-7/31/24)
  • Summer 2024 $545 (coverage 5/13/24 to 7/31/24)

SHIP flyer 23/24


Rates for the 2022-23 Academic Year

  • Annual $2810 billed half ($1405) Fall Semester & half ($1405) Spring Semester (coverage 8/1/22-7/31/23)
  • Spring/Summer 2023 $1632 (coverage 1/1/23-7/31/23)
  • Summer 2023 $601 (coverage 5/15/23 to 7/31/23)

SHIP flyer 22/23



Andrea Tangney
Student Health Insurance Plan Manager
Student Wellness Center, #236

Eligibility Information

All degree-seeking U.S. Citizen and Permanent Resident students who are enrolled towards a bachelors, masters, professional or doctoral degree at the Colorado School of Mines are eligible for the SHIP. This includes domestic students enrolled in the Masters of Science Degree in Mineral and Energy Economics at CSM and the Diplôme d’Ingénieur in Petroleum Economics and Management from IFP. Eligibility begins with enrollment in any course towards a degree.

The following U.S. Citizen and Permanent Resident students are not eligible to enroll in the SHIP:

  • Individuals taking courses taken as an audit
  • Individuals taking courses taken as non-degree
  • Individuals taking courses in Special Programs and Continuing Education (SPACE)
  • Individuals enrolled in courses or degree programs that are online only

All International students enrolled in courses at Colorado School of Mines, regardless of degree-seeking status (J and F visas) are required to enroll in the SHIP. This includes international students enrolled in the Masters of Science Degree in Mineral and Energy Economics at Mines and the Diplôme d’Ingénieur in Petroleum Economics and Management from IFP.

    • International students who have government, embassy or U.S.-based company sponsorships may be able to waive the SHIP.  Please contact the SHIP office to see if your plan qualifies.  All plans must have a claims address in the United States.


The following International students are not eligible to enroll in the SHIP:

    • International students enrolled for a course at Mines when another higher education institution holds the Visa documentation
    • International Scholars who have been awarded research, teaching or faculty appointments

Colorado School of Mines Student Health Insurance Plan does not offer dependent coverage. 

Your family members could be eligible for lower monthly premiums or reduced out-of-pocket costs. Free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid or CHIP might also be available. Please visit the Colorado Health Insurance Exchange to explore health coverage options for dependents:

Students participating in Intercollegiate Sports must have insurance coverage that meets NCAA requirements. NCAA athletes must demonstrate that they have this level of coverage in order to waive the Mines Student Health Insurance Plan. Student athletes who enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan will automatically be enrolled in the Intercollegiate Sports Plan, at no additional cost.

Graduate students employed at the 50% FTE level (i.e. most standard Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant contracts) are categorized as temporary employees at Mines. Thus, students on these contracts are eligible for a specialized version of the Mines Employee Health Benefits plan. Coverage for dependents IS available through this plan, although please note that the costs of this plan are not covered in RA or TA contracts at Mines. Please follow the link below to find more information, rate sheets, and FAQs.

The following groups of students are not eligible for the SHIP:

  • Students not meeting the conditions stated above
  • Individuals enrolled in courses or degree programs that are online only
  • Non-degree U.S. Citizens and permanent residents, regardless of credit hours enrolled
  • Students failing to make sufficient academic progress towards a degree as defined by the Colorado School of Mines
  • Students found to be enrolled in a degree program at CSM only for the purposes of obtaining health insurance coverage
  • Students enrolled at another local college and are secondarily enrolled in a course or courses at CSM through a reciprocity agreement
  • Students who withdraw from their courses
Health insurance verification: 1095-B Tax Form

The 1095-B Tax Form: Your Unique Health Insurance Verification

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act includes a requirement that many people have health insurance or pay a penalty. Compliance with this mandate is administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).* The IRS requires health insurance companies to report the individuals they covered per tax year. The reports need to include Social Security Numbers (SSN) or International Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN) to distinguish unique individuals. Insurance companies are also required to give individuals a copy of what they have reported, in the form of a tax form called 1095-B. *Information on this page should not be considered tax advice or guidance.


For the 22/23 plan year, you will receive your 1095-B through the mail from Anthem. If you do not receive this document, please contact Anthem at 800-331-1476.

For the 23/24 plan year, you will receive your 1095-B through the mail from United HealthCare. If you do not receive this document, please contact UHCSR at 800-767-0700.

Coverage after graduation

If you need coverage after August 1, 2024 you have several options:

1.) Coverage with an employer.  If you are starting a new job that offers health insurance, check with your employer to see what you need to do and when to enroll.

2.) Coverage under parent's or spouse’s health insurance.  Because your SHIP coverage ends on August 1, 2024 this can be considered a qualifying event, which may allow you to obtain coverage under your parent's health insurance if you are under age 26.

3.) Explore coverage options through a reputable online source, such as:

  • a major health insurance carrier that offers Individual Health Insurance policies
  • an independent insurance broker


TO NOTE: When considering an exchange plan, specifically ask when your new health insurance coverage will start. To avoid any potential gaps in coverage if you choose a plan on, or a private exchange, you may need to enroll by July 1, 2024 for a plan that will start on August 1, 2024.

Also, when enrolling with another health insurance company or through an exchange, you may be asked to provide documentation showing when prior health insurance coverage ended. Contact AHP at 855-517-8460 for a “certificate of coverage” or locate it in your AHP student account. This document will show the effective dates for the 2023-2024 policy year for the SHIP.  AHP will email or mail you this form if you are unable to access it.

Make sure you plan ahead to ensure you have coverage after August 1, 2024. Before you buy any plan, carefully review the medical and prescription drug benefits offered, the list or network of providers you can go to, and how much you should expect to pay out of your pocket in the form of deductibles, copays or co-insurance.

If you have any questions, please contact our office by email at, by phone at 303.273.3388 or in person at 1770 Elm Street, Room 236, Golden, CO  80401.



Insurance Termination Policy


Coverage terminates January 31 at 11:59 p.m. for Fall semester students who:

• Graduate in December

• Are not enrolled in at least one class for Spring

• Otherwise lose eligibility as describe in the Master Policy


Coverage terminates July 31 at 11:59 p.m. for ALL Full Academic Year/Spring only/Summer only students!

• Students need to re-enroll for benefits during the 23/24 enrollment/waiver period from July 15 - September 6



Refunds for the cost of coverage will ONLY be made upon the entry of any Covered Person into the armed forces of any country. A prorated refund will be returned to such person upon written request.