Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
We support the educational mission of Colorado School of Mines and the academic success of our students by offering high-quality health insurance at a reasonable cost.
Health Insurance for Students
Colorado School of Mines is committed to the health and well-being of all of its students. Good health is essential to academic success which is why we provide health care coverage to all enrolled degree seeking domestic students, and all international students, regardless of degree status.
Coverage requirements and option to waive insurance
Mines requires all students to have adequate health insurance as a condition of enrollment. No distinction is made for part-time versus full-time status. Degree-seeking U.S. citizens and permanent resident students who demonstrate coverage that meets Mines’ requirements may waive the health insurance provided by Mines using the online enrollment/waiver system. Information on coverage requirements can be found the Measure Up page.
Annual Enrollment or Waiver Required
A student’s enrollment into the Student Health Insurance Program is an annual selection. The enrollment selection that the student chooses is binding for the entire academic year, including summer. Please review this website for eligibility, benefits and termination information on the Mines Student Health Insurance Program.
Students who experience a “qualifying event” (such as losing their insurance due to change in employment status or age) may enroll in the the SHIP within 30 days of the qualifying event. The SHIP premium will be prorated for this type of enrollment.
Please contact “firstname.lastname@example.org” with questions.
Unless otherwise specified in the current brochure, the following students, as a condition of enrollment, must have health insurance that meets or exceeds Mines’ coverage requirements:
- All degree-seeking students, regardless of credit hours.
- All International Students (F and J visas), regardless of degree-seeking status, must purchase the SHIP, unless they meet specific requirements to waive.
Rates for the 2020-21 Academic Year –Coverage through Anthem, utilizing the Anthem PPO network.
- Annual $2450 (billed $1225 Fall and $1225 Spring Semester–coverage 8/1/20-7/31/21)
- Spring/Summer 2021 $1423 (coverage 1/1/21-7/31/21)
- Summer 2020 $510 (coverage 5/11/21 to 7/31/21)
Rates for the 2019-20 Academic Year
(Coverage through National Guardian Life-Cigna PPO Network)
- Annual $2600 (billed $1300 Fall and $1300 Spring Semester–coverage 8/1/19-8/1/20)
- Spring/Summer 2020 $1519 (coverage 1/1/20-8/1/20)
- Summer 2020 $583 (coverage 5/11/20 to 8/1/20)
Student Health Insurance Plan Coordinator
Student Wellness Center, #236
To find in network providers, go to either https://www.anthem.com/find-care/ “find a doctor or hospital”or you can go to csm.myahpcare.com and choose “find a doctor or hospital”. Either link takes you to the same place. You can find providers as a guest, or create a log in if you have an account. At “find providers”, choose “medical” from the drop down, choose your state from the drop down, choose Medical Networks from the drop down, and choose Anthem PPO in the drop down. On the next page, you will be able to search by provider name or type of care you want (dermatologist, cardiologist). It should give you all the providers in a set number of miles, when you enter your zip code.
You can access your insurance card and providers using the Sydney app:
Providers for Behavioral Health & Substance Use Disorder Services are listed under Medical Care.
Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
All degree-seeking U.S. Citizen and Permanent Resident students who are enrolled towards a bachelor’s, masters’, professional or doctoral degree at Colorado School of Mines. Includes domestic students enrolled in the Masters of Science Degree in Mineral and Energy Economics at Mines and the Diplôme d’Ingénieur in Petroleum Economics and Management from IFP. Eligibility begins with enrollment in any course towards a degree. The following U.S. Citizen and Permanent Resident students are not eligible:
- Courses taken as audit
- Courses taken as non-degree
- Individuals taking courses in Special Programs and Continuing Education (SPACE)
- Individuals enrolled in courses or degree programs online only
All International students enrolled in courses at Colorado School of Mines are required to enroll in the SHIP. This requirement applies to all International Students (excludes International Scholars who have been awarded research, teaching or faculty appointments). All international students, regardless of degree seeking status (J and F visas) are eligible for the SHIP. This includes international students enrolled in the Masters of Science Degree in Mineral and Energy Economics at Mines and the Diplôme d’Ingénieur in Petroleum Economics and Management from IFP.
- Excludes international students enrolled for a course at Mines, where another institution holds the visa.
- Excludes International Scholars who have been awarded research, teaching or faculty appointments.
- International students who have government, embassy or U.S.-based company sponsorships may be able to waive the SHIP. Please contact the SHIP office to see if your plan qualifies. All plans must have a claims address in the United States.
Colorado School of Mines Student Health Insurance Plan does not offer dependent coverage.
Please visit the Colorado Health Insurance Exchange: http://connectforhealthco.com/
Students participating in Intercollegiate Sports must have insurance coverage that meets NCAA requirements. NCAA athletes must demonstrate that they have this level of coverage in order to waive the Mines Student Health Insurance Plan. Student athletes who enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan will automatically be enrolled in the Intercollegiate Sports Plan, at no additional cost.
The following groups of students are not eligible for the SHIP:
- Students not meeting the conditions stated above
- Non-degree U.S. Citizens and permanent residents regardless of credit hours enrolled
- Students failing to make sufficient academic progress towards a degree as defined by the Colorado School of Mines,
- Students found to be enrolled in a degree program at CSM only for the purposes of obtaining health insurance coverage.
- Students enrolled at another local college and are secondarily enrolled in a course or courses at CSM through a reciprocity agreement.
Health insurance verification: 1095-B Tax Form
The 1095-B Tax Form: Your unique health insurance verification
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act includes a requirement that many people have health insurance or pay a penalty. Compliance with this mandate is administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).* The IRS requires health insurance companies to report the individuals they covered per tax year. The reports need to include Social Security Numbers (SSN) or International Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN) to distinguish unique individuals. Insurance companies are also required to give individuals a copy of what they have reported, in the form of a tax form called 1095B. *Information on this page should not be considered tax advice or guidance.
To print your 1095B form-NGL
Coverage after graduation
If you need coverage after August 1, 2020 you have several options:
1.) Coverage with an employer. If you are starting a new job that offers health insurance, check with your employer to see what you need to do and when to enroll.
2.) Coverage under parent's or spouse’s health insurance. Because your SHIP coverage ends on August 1, 2020 this can be considered a qualifying event, which may allow you to obtain coverage under your parent's health insurance if you are under age 26.
3.) Explore coverage options through a reputable online source, such as:
- a major health insurance carrier that offers Individual Health Insurance policies
- an independent insurance broker
**TO NOTE: When considering an exchange plan, specifically ask when your new health insurance coverage will start. To avoid any potential gaps in coverage if you choose a plan on connectforhealthco.com or HealthCare.gov or a private exchange, you may need to enroll by July 1, 2020 for a plan that will start on August 1, 2020.
Also, when enrolling with another health insurance company or through an exchange, you may be asked to provide documentation showing when prior health insurance coverage ended. Contact Commercial Travelers at 800.780.7879 for a “certificate of coverage”. This will show the effective dates for the 2019-20 policy year for the SHIP. Commercial Travelers will email or mail you this form. Please call to request a certificate of coverage (also known as a notice of termination) to use with another health insurance carrier.
As you plan ahead to ensure you have coverage after August 1, 2020, before you buy any plan, carefully review the medical and prescription drug benefits offered, the list or network of providers you can go to, and how much you should expect to pay out of your pocket in the form of deductibles, copays, or coinsurance.
If you have any questions, please contact our office by email at email@example.com, by phone at 303.273.3388, or in person in Room 236 of the Wellness Center at 1770 Elm Street, Golden CO 80401.
Insurance - Termination Policy
Coverage terminates January 31 at 11:59 p.m. for Fall semester for Students who:
• Graduate in December
• Withdraw from the University after the fall Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Are academically suspended after the fall Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Otherwise, lose eligibility as describe in the Master Policy
Coverage terminates July 31 at 11:59 p.m. for Spring semester students who:
• Graduate in May or Summer
• Withdraw from the University after the spring Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Are academically suspended after Spring Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Otherwise, lose eligibility as described in the Master Policy
Refunds for the cost of coverage will only be made upon the entry of any Covered Person into the armed forces of any country. A prorated refund will be returned to such person upon written request.