Practical Information

On-campus: Mines Park

No one is guaranteed a spot in Mines Park, and incoming study abroad and exchange students who have filled out the housing form are entered in a lottery to determine which students get a spot there. If you are chosen to live in Mines Park, you will not have to fill out the Mines Park application on Trailhead and the International Office will reserve your spot for you. 

The Apartments at Mines Park is an apartment complex that was built to provide convenient, affordable housing for the Mines community. The complex houses one, two, and three bedroom units for unmarried undergraduate and graduate students, and one and two bedroom units for families.  

Mines Park apartments for international students are fully furnished. Kitchens are equipped with a full-size refrigerator with an ice maker, dishwasher, and an oven and range.  Each bedroom has wired and wireless connections to the Mines network.  All students living in Mines Park will be provided with an account for streaming television services (Philo) that can be viewed via a smart device (cell phone or tablet), computer connected to the internet, or a TV with a Roku box.

There are two Community Centers at Mines Park, which feature laundry facilities, television lounge, study area, and kitchen.  Residents of Mines Park also have the opportunity to reserve a Community Center for programs, events, and gatherings.

More detail about types of apartments offered at Mines park can be found here.


Many Mines students choose to live off-campus in apartments in and around Golden.If you are not selected to live in Mines Park or would prefer to live off-campus the International office can connect you with Roomdock, an online service that helps students find housing near their school within their budget and preferences. 



Bulletin Search: 

The best way to search for classes using the Colorado School of Mines catalog:

  1. Click the link here.
  2. Click the college that your major belongs to.
    1. College of Engineering and Computational Science– Math, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering
    2. College of Earth Resources Science and Engineering– Economics and Business, Geology and Geological Engineering, Geophysics, Mining Engineering, Humanities Arts and Social Sciences, and Petroleum Engineering
    3. College of Applied Science and Engineering– Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science, Nuclear Science and Engineering
  3. Click on the major of the class you are looking for.  The major should appear along the left side of the screen.
  4. Click “Courses”
  5. NOTE: In the course description: (I) represents first semester (August – December), (II) represents second semester (January – May)

You can also search for classes by following the link above and searching for your courses in the white bar that says “Search catalog.”

NOTE: Just because a course is listed in the catalog DOES NOT mean the course will be offered.  This is simply used as a guideline.  If you need to know if a specific course is offered a certain semester, please email

Trailhead Search:

Trailhead is the system that Mines students will use once they are accepted to Mines.  Once students get accepted to Mines, they will have access to a complete list of courses available for their study abroad semester.  We will provide students with instructions on how to search for courses on Trailhead once they have been accepted.

All International students enrolled in courses at the Colorado School of Mines are required to enroll in the SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program).
This requirement applies to all International Students (excludes International Scholars who have been awarded research, teaching or faculty appointments).

International students who have government, embassy or US-based company sponsorships may be able to complete a waiver to opt out of the SHIP.  (International policies MUST have a United States claims address and contact phone number to be approved for a waiver).

For more information please visit the Mines Student Health Center website.

The following immunization information is required by the Mines Student Health Center for all students. For more detailed information on how to submit this information can be found on the Health Center website

Deadlines are as follows:

Fall Semester Deadline: June 15

Spring Semester Deadline: December 15

  • MMR-Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine: Two doses are required by the State of Colorado for all students born after 1/1/1957. Both doses must be given no more than 4 days before the 1st birthday and at least 28 days apart.  Full dates (month/day/year) are required.  Proof of immunization must be provided in English.  Please check with your physician, high school, previous university, county office, and/or military to obtain an official copy of your records.  You may also provide a blood titer indicating proof of your immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella.  Medical, religious and personal exemptions are allowed by law; however, in the event of an outbreak, exempted persons may be subject to quarantine and exclusion from school.
  • TB Screening Questions: Please complete this required form on the Patient Health Portal.  If testing is indicated, please upload results.
  • If living on campus: Proof of a Meningococcal ACWY vaccine (Menactra, MCV4, Menveo) given within the last 5 years must be documented on your immunization record.  If the 5 year time period will expire while living on campus, you may choose to receive a booster from your physician or the Student Health Center.  A waiver of this requirement is accepted by completion of the Meningococcal Disease form.
  • Consent to Treat: A parent or guardian must complete this form so that we may treat you in the event of illness or injury if you are under age 18.

**Any questions can be directed to the Mines Student Health Center at Please note that the International Office does not control these Immunization Requirements and so cannot help you extend deadlines or waive requirements!

Exchange Programs

If you are coming to Mines on an exchange agreement, you do not pay Mines tuition. However, you will pay some fees covering on-campus amenities such as computer access and Mines Rec Center access.

Study Abroad Programs

If you are coming to Mines as a study abroad student (not exchange), you will be required to pay tuition to Mines as an out-of-state resident as well as fees covering on-campus computer access and access to the Mines Rec Center. 

Congratulations, you’ve arrived Denver International Airport! 

Below are some of the transportation options for getting to Mines from the airport. Please review all of the options carefully before you decide which will work best for you! 

Getting from your flight to the Denver Airport Station:

When you exit the aircraft, follow signs for baggage claim or the transit center. You will need to board the airport tram to get to Jeppesen Terminal (main terminal) where baggage claim and ground transportation is located.

Domestic arrivals are located in the center of the main terminal on level 5. International arrivals are located at the north end of the terminal. Baggage claim is also located on level 5.

To get to Denver Airport Station, follow signs to the Transit Center and proceed to the south exit on level 5 (look for the large American flag), exit the terminal through the sliding glass doors and take the escalator located in the center of the plaza down to level 1.

Light Rail- 1.5-2 hours

Take the light rail from DIA on the A-line to Union Station (in Downtown Denver), then transfer to the W-line going to the Jefferson County Government Center (Golden).*



To get to the W-line from your arrival at Union station, you will need to walk about two blocks from the Union Station Commuter Rail to the Union Station Light Rail, where you can catch the W-line to the Jefferson County Government Center-Golden Station.



*From the Jefferson County Government Station you will need another mode of travel, such as the Golden Shuttle, a taxi, or an Uber to get to the Mines campus.

**Larger versions of these maps are available below.

Taxi and Ride Share: 45 min-1 hr


Uber is a convenient, inexpensive and safe taxi service. Hire a private driver to pick you up & take you to your destination with the tap of a button on your phone. Visit their website or download the app to learn more!

From Denver International Airport to Colorado School of Mines, fares are as low as $40, but the price varies with demand and the time of day. Check out the Uber website to calculate your own estimate and find the Uber service right for you!


Lyft is another application similar to Uber, fares will be between $40 and $50.

Note: With both Uber and Lyft, the pick-up locations can be found in the app.

Denver Airport Taxi:

Visit their website to get a price estimate and reserve your taxi! Taxis will probably cost between $80 and $100.

OnCabs Denver:

Visit their website to get a price estimate and book your taxi! Taxis will probably cost between $80 and $100.

Super Shuttle:

This is an airport shuttle (bus) service available to take you from the airport to Colorado School of Mines.

Visit their website to get a price estimate and reserve a ride with the shuttle! The shuttle can be as low as $47 in a shared-ride-van.

Once you arrive on campus:

When you get to campus, you will need to check-in at the Mines International Office located in the Ben Parker Student Center office E110 (1200 16th St.) Our office staff will be excited to welcome you to Golden and to Mines!

Next, you will attend International Student Orientation which typically occurs a few days after the start of the semester. At this orientation you will have the opportunity to meet the other international students as well as get to know our SAPAs (Study Abroad Peer Advisors). SAPAs are American Mines students who have gone through the study abroad experience themselves and so will not only be able to help you with any questions you may have about Mines, but can also relate to the big changes that come with studying abroad! SAPAs plan fun activities to introduce you to the area, Mines traditions, and favorite Mines student activities. 

Transportation Options in Golden:

Golden Shuttle:

Direct Reservation Number – 303.519.9162

Service Overview:

The Golden RTD Call‐N‐Ride service operates Monday – Saturday (See hours below).  The system operates three buses, a flex route bus and two Call‐N‐Ride service buses.  The flex route bus runs a set schedule (shown below) on a 30 minute schedule, which includes three morning pickup hours for Mines Park.  This route and schedule can be found on the RTD website.

The two Call‐N‐Ride buses are available for trips outside the flex route such as return trips form the Mines Main campus to Mines Park during operational hours (M‐F 5:30am – 8:00pm and Sat. 8:00am – 11:00pm) through the two scheduling options below (Call‐N‐Ride reservations or Subscription Service).  

Call-n-Ride Reservations:

To make a one-time reservation, just call at least two hours or up to two weeks in advance, and an estimated pick-up time will be provided. When the bus arrives, pay your exact cash fare. You can also book your trip online. To use the online booking, you must have booked your first trip by phone with a Call-n-Ride driver.

Subscription Service:

A subscription service is also offered for Call-n-Rides. You can use the subscription service to schedule recurring trips at the same time and location. Once you’ve subscribed you will be picked you up and dropped off on your schedule until you cancel.

Flex Routes:


Select Call-n-Ride service areas offer flex route service. Our flex routes offer commuters a reservation-free ride during morning and evening rush-hours at scheduled stops and times along the route. Just wait at any designated Call-n-Ride stop and you’ll be picked you up. 


Zipcar is a car rental service partnered with the School of Mines. You can drive cars by the hour or day, and gas and insurance are included in the fare. Zipcar has some cars available on the Mines campus for rental. You can register online and reserve a car. For more information on how to reserve a car and where to find one on campus visit the Zipcar website.




Fall 2018 Semester Dates

Nomination Deadline March 1
Application Deadline March 15
International Student Orientation August 15 – 16
Classes Start August 17
Classes End December 6
Final Exams December 8 – 13

Spring 2019 Semester Dates

Nomination Deadline September 15
Application Deadline October 1
International Student Orientation To be determined
Classes Start January 8, 2019
Classes End May 2, 2019
Final Exams May 4 – 9

Please view the official academic calendar for key dates during the Mines semester.

The Colorado School of Mines uses the traditional American academic system.  Students are graded on a five letter scale.

A 90% – 100%
B 80% – 90%
C 70% – 80%
D 60% – 70%
F < 60%

For most classes, “C” is considered a passing grade.  Check with your school’s registrar to see how your grades transfer to your home university.

Students receive a grade based on a combination of homework, quizzes, and tests.  The weighting of each item depends on the specific class.  Check your course syllabus for more details on how your grade is determined for each class.

At the end of the semester, we will mail two physical copies of your transcript to your home university on your behalf.