Ineligible Individuals

Ineligible Individuals:

Students under the following categories do not qualify for residency status for tuition purposes.


Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP/WICHE)

Students who participate in the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP, or better known as WICHE) are not eligible to petition for residency status. The WRGP program is considered a benefit of your home state and therefore you cannot establish residency in another state.

Mines also does not participate in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program or any other reciprocity agreement.

International Visas

International students under any one of the following visa types are not eligible to petition for residency status:

  • F-1, F-2, H-3, H-4 (if the visa holder is the spouse or child of an H-3), J-1 and J-2 (if the J-1 visa holder is a student or trainee), M-1, and M-2.

Only after permanent resident status has been officially approved, or a student is approved to be on a qualified visa, can they begin to establish 12 months of domicile and intent. Making them eligible to petition the following year.

For more information, please visit the Colorado Department of Higher Education website.

Spring 2024 Petition Deadline








Contact Us

Registrar's Office
Student Center, Suite E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

Registration or student record questions
FAX: 303-384-2253

Residency petition & COF questions

Transfer credit questions

Military and VA Benefit related questions

Graduation questions