We believe faculty and staff should work collaboratively to assist our students. The Faculty in CASA program breaks down traditional and structural barriers with faculty and students inhabitating a mutually shared commons.Each semester, four professors host the entirety of their required faculty hours within the CASA office. While in the office, faculty may assist their students, provide guidance and support and even tutoring. In addition, faculty may program impromptu study sessions with pizza provided!
The Faculty in CASA program was recently recognized by the National Academic Advising Association as an Outstanding Institutional Advising Program. CASA is honored to be recognized for the time, dedication and commitment faculty invest in supporting the needs of Mines students through this invaluable program.
Prof. Kristine Callan, Physics
As a Teaching Professor, my primary responsibility is teaching. I am continually looking for the most effective ways we can help students learn physics at Colorado School of Mines. One technique we currently use in our large enrollment introductory courses is Studio Physics. I am particularly interested in how we can use technology to improve learning both in the Studio setting as well as in other situations. While I primarily teach the large enrollment Physics I and Physics II courses, I have been known to occasionally teach a senior/graduate level course in laser physics.
Prof. Amanda Jameer, Chemistry
Teaching Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry.
Prof. Hsia-Po(Vince) Kuo, Physics
My area of expertise is physics education research, with a concentration in problem solving in introductory calculus-based physics. I have been involved with reform efforts in implementing effective pedagogical practices and developing curricular material at 3 major universities over the past decade. I’m interested in utilizing various qualitative and quantitative research methodologies in my investigations into student learning to inform both pedagogy and curriculum. Currently I am working on further refining the studio-physics curriculum here at Mines, and am involved with several pedagogical reform efforts with upper-division physics courses. Plans are also in the works for designing a Studio Electronics learning environment.
Prof. Mike Mikucki, Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Teaching Associate Professor, Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Prof. Angie Sower, Chemistry
I am on the teaching faculty in the Chemistry Department, here at Mines, and am excited to be working at CASA this academic year! I look forward to working with General Chemistry students on both content and learning strategies, that will not only be applicable in a chemistry setting, but also throughout students’ education. My background is in Biochemistry and I have been teaching at the college level for about 20 years in a variety of academic settings. Colorado School of Mines provides a very special and unique teaching and learning atmosphere and I feel privileged to be a part of this community. When not at Mines, I enjoy spending time with family and friends, eating chocolate, and spending time outdoors! Hope to see you at CASA!
Faculty in CASA Alumni
- Renee Falconer,PhD, Chemistry
- Andres Guerra, PhD, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Ashlyn Munson,PhD, Applied Math & Statistics
- Allyce Horan, MA, Writing Center
- Terry Bridgman, PhD, Teaching Associate Professor, Applied Math and Statistics
- Kristine Callan, PhD, Teaching Associate Professor, Physics
- Allison Caster, PhD, Teaching Associate Professor, Chemistry
- Holly Eklund, MA, Teaching Associate Professor, Applied Math and Statistics
- Courtney Holles, MA, Teaching Associate Professor, LAIS
- Scott Houser, PhD, Teaching Associate Professor, Economics & Business
- Justin Latici, MA, AdjunctTeaching Professor, LAIS & Writing Center
- Todd Ruskell, PhD, Associate Department Head, Physics
- Scott Strong, Teaching Associate Professor, Applied Math and Statistics
- Bethany Wilcox, PhD, Teaching Professor, Physics