International First-Year Admissions

Consideration for Admission

To be considered for admission, you must complete secondary school, earn superior marks in academic subjects and receive a certificate of completion that grants you admission to university-level studies in your country. All first-year applicants are considered using the same eligibility requirements and are included in the same selection process, regardless of being an international or domestic applicant. Our online application is the same for domestic and international students.

Academic requirements

International students must meet the same admission requirements and will be included in the same selection process as U.S. citizens and permanent residents as described on the First-Year Students page in the Recommended Curriculum and Application Requirements sections. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission to Mines. Applicants who are admitted typically will exceed Mines admission requirements. If you have attended both non-U.S. and U.S. schools, both your non-U.S. and U.S. courses and grades will be considered. 

Additionally, international students must meet the criteria outlined in the next section titled “Admission Information for Specific Countries and Educational Systems”.

Mines does not require SAT/ACT results for international students unless you are planning to play a NCAA sport. 


Transcript Requirements

Ask your high school to send us your official high school transcript electronically or by email to or upload an unofficial high school transcript via the Supplemental Materials section of your Applicant Portal. 

If you are admitted and decide to enroll at Colorado School of Mines, you must request that your high school send an official final high school transcript in its original language as well as an English version or credential evaluation. This transcript must show all grades as completed as well as a date of graduation. All international transcripts must be accompanied by a certified English translation and course-by-course credential evaluation*. Please order an evaluation after you have graduated from high school so the transcript will be final. The preferred evaluation agencies are Educational Credential Evaluators, (ECE) and WES (World Education Services (WES). Other National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) members will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Remember to designate Mines as a copy recipient of your evaluation.

Eligibility for a Credential Evaluation wavier:
*Some international students who are sponsored by a company or government organization or those who have attended high schools abroad that follow an American or IB curriculum with English as the primary language of instruction are eligible for a waiver of this requirement. Email to request a waiver if you believe you may qualify.

We prefer transcripts to be sent to us electronically, but if you need to use a mail service, our address is:

Colorado School of Mines Undergraduate Admissions

1812 Illinois St.

Golden, CO 80401


Admission Information for Specific Countries and Educational Systems

The information in this section is intended to supplement admission requirements for first-year and transfers, not replace them.

13-Year Educational Systems 

If pre-university education is 13 years long in your country, you must complete all 13 years before entering Mines. You must graduate from secondary school in your country earning a certificate of completion that enables you to attend a university in your country. Admission to Mines is not offered prior to completion of the 13th year. 

IGCSE, AS, and A-Level Curriculum

The most competitive international applicants whose schools offer the IGCSE curriculums usually present three A Level exams with grades of at least an A or B. Mines does offer credit for some A-Level coursework.

India and Pakistan

You must complete your standard XII years of education and sit for 10th and 12th year board/state examinations.

Applicants should have an overall minimum course average equivalent to a 50-59% (Second Class) or above on the Indian grading scale on any one of the following Secondary School Leaving Certificates:

  • Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)
  • Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC)
  • Senior Secondary Certificate, Pre-University Certificate, Pre-Degree Certificate
  • Intermediate Examination
  • All India and Delhi Senior School Certificate
  • Indian School Certificate Examination

International Schools 

Your international school must have an appropriate level of recognition in the educational system it follows. You must also be earning a certificate of completion that will allow you to enter a university in that educational system. If your international school follows a U.S. curriculum, your school must have U.S. accreditation and you must graduate with a U.S. high school diploma or an equivalent credential. 

International Baccalaureate

The most competitive international applicants whose schools offer the IB curriculum usually present three IB exams with grades of 5, 6 or 7. Mines does offer credit for some IB-Level coursework


You must complete your SPM and STPM or A Levels to be considered for admission. 

New Zealand

You must complete Form 7 earning your Higher School Certificate. If you will be receiving a Bursary or NCEA Level 3, please indicate this in your application.


Personal statements and letters of recommendation (optional)

If you wish, you may submit a personal statement  with your application. This section can be helpful to explain special circumstances in your life that have affected you or your education or tell us anything else about yourself that you’d like us to know. Use the Personal Statement section of the online application to write what you’d like to say, or after 24 hours, you will receive a link to your Applicant Portal where you can also upload a .docx or .pdf file..

Letters of recommendation are not required for admission to Mines as an undergraduate but can be included in support of your application for admission. If you want to add a letter of recommendation to your application, we recommend the letter be submitted by an academic reference (teacher or counselor), be no longer than one page, and be emailed directly to


English Proficiency Requirements

International applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency if they are accepted and decide to enroll at Mines. U.S. Permanent Residents are exempt from this requirement. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:


Colorado School of Mines institution code: 4073. Mines requires a minimum score of  79 Internet-based test with minimum section scores as shown below. Tests must have been taken within the past two years and must not expire during the application process. If you have multiple valid TOEFL tests, we will superscore your section scores if necessary.

SubjectInternet TOEFL (iBT)

TOEFL AT-HOME TEST: We will accept the TOEFL At-Home Test with the same score requirements as those listed above. This test is now available in most countries.



Minimum overall band of 6.5 with no band below 6.0. We are now accepting the IELTS Indicator At-Home Test with the same score requirements. This test is now available in most countries. If you have multiple valid IELTS tests, we will superscore your band scores if necessary. Tests must have been taken within the past two years and must not expire during the application process.


Duolingo English Test

The Duolingo Englsh Test is an acceptable test of English proficiency. A minimum overall score of 105, with no subscore below a 105 is required for all fall 2021 applicants. We will evaluate our requirements in 2021 to determine 2022 requirements.


Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic

Minimum overall score of 53 with no communicative skills score below 50. Tests must have been taken within the past two years and must not expire during the application process.


Other ways to prove English proficiency:
  • Completion of junior and senior years in a U.S. high school with SAT Verbal score of 550 or ACT English score of 23.
  • Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements, and ACT and/or SAT results.
  • Holding a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
  • You are a citizen of one of the following English-speaking countries:
Cost of Attendance and Tuition Classification

Most international students will pay non-resident tuition and fees.


    On Campus Off Campus
Estimated Direct Expenses
  Tuition $37,350 $37,350
  Fees $2,450 $2,450
  Room/Meal Allowance $14,720 $10,142
Estimated Indirect Expenses
  Books and Supplies $1,500 $1,500
  Personal Allowance $1,229 $1,665
  Transportation Allowance $650 $1,400
  Loan Fees $56 $56
Total   $57,955 $54,563
  Per Credit Hour $1,245

Please see the Non-Resident section of the Financial Aid website for more information on the cost of attendance and the tuition and fee schedule.

International students in the following categories cannot qualify for in-state tuition: F-1, F-2, H-3, H-4 (if the visa holder is the spouse or child of an H-3), J-1, and J-2 (if the J-1 visa holder is a student or trainee), M-1 and M-2. 

If you are a refugee, an asylee, or an international student and hold a visa type different than one listed above, you may be eligible for in-state tuition after one year of Colorado residence and should contact the admissions office to learn more about how to petition for in-state/resident tuition. 


Demonstrating financial resources (after committing only)

Providing proof of financial resources is only required if you are admitted and decide you would like to enroll (commit) to Mines. You do not need to provide financial documents during the first part of the application process. If you are offered admission and decide you want to enroll at Mines, you will work with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to submit your financial documents. According to U.S. government regulations, all applicants who need a student visa to study in the U.S. must demonstrate they have sufficient funds to pay for tuition costs and living expenses while at Mines. Students demonstrate sufficient funds by submitting a bank statement, certificate of balance, scholarship letter or any combination of the three. Financial documents must have been prepared within the last 6 months. The ISSS office, not Admissions, processes all financial documentation for immigration purposes. Please contact the ISSS office with any questions.




Receiving Credit at Mines for AP, IB and A-level Coursework

Each year, Colorado School of Mines accepts AP, IB and A-level credit from hundreds of students. To determine how these credits may apply to your degree at Mines, please visit the Registrar’s website on Advanced Credits.

Visa and Immigration Information

Please visit the Global Education Office website and click on the drop down menu titled, “Which visa is right for me?”  You will also be able to learn more information on F-1 visas on this page. For more information on J-1 visas, click here.



The Fall 2021 First-Year Admissions Application is now open!

Steps to Apply





If accepted:



*Applies only to students who have attended high school outside the U.S.. The applicant portal is available 24hrs after submitting your application.

**Optional: Resume, test scores, letter of recommendation, etc. Applicant portal access is granted 24 hours after submitting the online application.




Priority application file completion deadline.  Must receive a complete application, high school transcript and 1st trimester CPP transcript on/before November 1.  Admissions decision sent by December 21, 2020


Regular application file completion deadline.  Must receive a complete application + transcript on/before March 1.  Admissions decision sent by March 1, 2021


Rolling admissions on a space-available basis until the class is filled


Submit official IELTS, TOEFL, or Duolingo scores if necessary.


National Commitment Day

Do you have immigration-related questions?

All admission decisions are final, with one exception. If you admission to the Colorado School of Mines is denied based on information you provided on your application for admission regarding your criminal history, pending criminal charges, or disciplinary history at another academic institution, you have the right to an appeal. Appeals must be in writing and should be submitted to the Associate Provost for Enrollment management at within 14 days of receipt of the admission decision. Appeals should include all relevant information you would like the Associate Provost to consider. You will be notified of the outcome of your appeal within 14 days of receipt.