International Transfer Admissions

Consideration for Admission

All transfer applicants are considered using the same admission requirements and are included in the same selection process. If you have attended both international and U.S. colleges or universities, both your international and U.S. courses and grades will be considered. You may also be required to demonstrate English proficiency.

Academic requirements

International transfer students go through the same application and review process as any other transfer student*. For more information and a detailed list of admissions requirements, please see the Undergraduate Transfer Admissions website. When you apply, you must report all international coursework as it would appear on your international academic records. 

*The only additional requirement is proof of English proficiency for some students. See the English Proficiency Requirements section below for more information.


Transcript Requirements

We will accept unofficial copies of your transcripts in English. If you are admitted and decide to enroll at Colorado School of Mines, you must submit an official high school transcript as well as all college transcripts in the original language as well as an English version. All international transcripts must be accompanied by a certified English translation and credential evaluation. The preferred translation agencies are Educational Credential Evaluators, (ECE) or WES (World Education Services (WES). Other National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.


English Proficiency Requirements

Applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

(Colorado School of Mines institution code: 4073): Students whose native language is not English must submit acceptable TOEFL scores as part of the application process. Mines requires a minimum score of 79 Internet-based test with minimum section scores as shown below. Tests must have been taken within the past two years to be accepted.

SubjectInternet TOEFL (iBT)
  • Minimum overall band of 6.5 with no band below 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: Minimum overall score of 53 with no communicative skills score below 50.

Exceptions to the English (TOEFL/IELTS/Person Test) Requirement

  • Applicants who have completed their junior and senior years in a U.S. high school with SAT Verbal score of 550 or ACT English score of 23.
  • Applicants who have completed a minimum of 48 transferable semester credits including 6 credits of freshman English composition at a U.S. college or university with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Applicants holding a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
  • Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements, and ACT and/or SAT results.


  • Check to see if your school is recognized by your country’s Ministry of Education (or the appropriate government agency) or a U.S. accrediting agency. The school must be well recognized in order for us to accept any credit. 
  • You must also be enrolled in a university level academic degree program comparable to a U.S. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree. Terminal vocational or technical programs are often not transferable to Mines even if taken at recognized institutions. 
  • Determine if your courses are similar to any of the ones offered at Mines. We will only consider transfer credit for courses that are similar to those offered at Mines. You can obtain descriptions of Mines courses in our catalog, If you cannot find a comparable course at Mines, then look in the catalogs of the other Colorado campuses. A course may also be transferable if it is offered somewhere in the Colorado system but most likely will only be for free elective credit. 
  • Remedial academic subjects, such as English taught as a second language and high school level math, are not transferable. 

Whether or not you believe your coursework will be transferable, you will be required to report ALL college and university coursework undertaken in your application. No final decisions on transfer credit will be made until you officially apply and enroll at Mines.



Transfer credit is considered for students who have taken the GCE or Hong Kong Advanced Level Examinations and earned grades of “C” or higher. Mines does not routinely award transfer credit for the German Abitur, the Swiss Federal Maturity Certificate, the Italian Maturita, or the French Baccalaureate. If you completed GCE A-level or the HKALE, you must report your scores in your application. If you did not receive “C” grades please report your exam scores anyway. Poor A-level/HKALE scores will not be counted against you as a transfer student.

For more information on transferable AP, IB or A-level credit.


Admission Information for Specific Countries and Educational Systems

The information in this section is intended to supplement admission requirements for first-year and transfers, not replace them.

13-Year Educational Systems 

If pre-university education is 13 years long in your country, you must complete all 13 years before entering Mines. You must graduate from secondary school in your country earning a certificate of completion that enables you to attend a university in your country. Admission to Mines is not offered prior to completion of the 13th year. 

British System and Singapore

You must complete at least 5 IGCSE/GCSE/GCE O Levels, and at least 3 GCE A Levels to be considered for admission. AS levels will also be considered. If you receive A, B or C grades on your GCE A level examinations, Mines may consider granting you transfer credit toward your bachelor’s degree. The exact credit amount will be determined after you have been formally admitted and provide your official certificate. 

India and Pakistan

You must complete your standard XII years of education and sit for 10th and 12th year board/state examinations. 

International Schools

Your international school must have an appropriate level of recognition in the educational system it follows. You must also be earning a certificate of completion that will allow you to enter a university in that educational system. If your international school follows a U.S. curriculum, your school must have U.S. accreditation and you must graduate with a U.S. high school diploma or an equivalent credential. 

International Baccalaureate

If you are completing your IB diploma or simply taking some IB courses, make sure to report your IB status in your application.  


You must complete your SPM and STPM or A Levels to be considered for admission. 

Sri Lanka

You must complete Sri Lankan GCE O and A Levels. You may also complete O and A Levels through a British Examination Authority. 

New Zealand

You must complete Form 7 earning your Higher School Certificate. If you will be receiving a Bursary or NCEA Level 3, please indicate this in your application.


Personal statements and letters of recommendation (optional)

If you wish, you may submit a personal statement essay with your application to explain special circumstances in your life that have affected you or your education. Use the Personal Statement section of the online application to submit your essay, or after 24 hours, you will receive a link to your Applicant Portal where you can also upload an essay.

Letters of recommendation are not required for admission to Mines as an undergraduate but can be included in support of your application for admission. If you want to add a letter of recommendation to your application, we recommend the letter be submitted by an academic reference (teacher or counselor), be no longer than one page, and be emailed directly to


Demonstrating financial resources

Providing proof of financial resources is only required if you are admitted to Mines. You do not need to provide financial documents during the first part of the application process. If you are offered admission, you will work with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to submit your financial documents. According to U.S. government regulations, all applicants who need a student visa to study in the U.S. must demonstrate they have sufficient funds to pay for tuition costs and living expenses while at Mines. Students demonstrate sufficient funds by submitting a bank statement, certificate of balance, scholarship letter or any combination of the three. Financial documents must have been prepared within the last 6 months. Students must also complete and sign the Statement of Support. The ISSS office, not Admissions, processes all financial documentation for immigration purposes. Please contact the ISSS office with any questions.



You are required to report your junior/community college or diploma program courses along with all other post secondary coursework in your application. However, Mines generally does not transfer credit from junior/community college programs that are technical or vocational in nature, or that do not lead on to further academic study at a university. Usually, coursework from Japanese and Malaysian junior colleges does not transfer. Limited transfer credit may be considered for Indian engineering diploma programs when students have continued their education in a bachelor’s degree program. Applicants usually are not able to transfer directly from Indian diploma programs to Mines.


The 2020 Transfer Admissions Application is Open!

Steps to Apply






Frequently Asked Questions


Do you have more questions?

If you are already in the U.S. and would like to visit campus, take a tour and/or schedule a transfer advising appointment, click the link below. If you are in the U.S. or abroad and wish to contact us with additional questions, please email or call +1 303-384-2027.