Information and Policies

Student Information

Student Refund

If a student has a credit balance (negative amount) on their account, they may be eligible to receive a refund.


Students must enroll in eRefund and submit a ‘Refund Request Form’ on their Trailhead account in order to receive a refund.

1. Enroll in eRefund on trailhead (enroll once unless there is a change to your account information).

Trailhead > ‘Payments and Refunds’ Card > My Account Page > Click on ‘my account’ > Sign Up for Direct Deposit Refund

2. Submit a Refund Request Form on Trailhead (every time you wish to request a refund).

Trailhead > ‘Payments and Refunds’ Card > Request a Refund

ACH/Card Refunds

If a personal ACH payment was processed and generated a credit balance, the refund will be processed back to the original payment source.

Any credits resulting from a card payment will be refunded back to the card.

10-Business Day Holding 

If the student has a credit balance that was generated from a check payment, Mines reserves the right to hold the credit for 10-business days to ensure the payment was successfully processed.

Parent Plus Loans

If a student has a credit balance resulting from a Parent Plus Loan, a refund will be processed based on the refund option selected on the application.

1. If the parent elected to receive the refund, a paper check will be issued to the address provided on the application. No parent refunds will be processed via direct deposit.

2. If the parent elected for the student to receive the refund, the student must enroll in eRefund and submit a ‘Refund Request Form’ as noted above.

Returned Check
Any payments refused by the payer bank for any reason, are subject to a $35.00 returned payment fee. In addition, a hold restricting registration and the receipt of diplomas and transcripts will be placed on the account. This hold will not be released until the total amount is repaid. Colorado School of Mines reserves the right to observe a 10 day waiting period to ensure that any check payment clears. For immediate release of the hold, payment can be made in cash, money order or certified check.
Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF)

Colorado Opportunity Fund is a tuition stipend provided by the State of Colorado to undergraduate resident students. The stipend is only applied to COF eligible courses and up to 145 lifetime attempted credit hours. The stipend amount is determined annually from the State of Colorado.

To register for the COF Stipend, there is a two-step process:

1. Register for COF here. 

2. Authorize COF usage at Mines

Trailhead > ‘College Opportunity Fund’ Card > COF Stipend Authorization

For more information on COF, click here to visit the Registrar’s website.

Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

Mines requires all students to have adequate health insurance as a condition of enrollment. SHIP is automatically applied to student accounts each semester and students who have comparable insurance can submit a waiver to remove the insurance charge.  For more information and instructions on the waiver, please visit the SHIP website.


Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Colorado School of Mines abides by FERPA regulation and is prohibited to release information to anyone other than the student.

Mines will disclose, make accessible, and furnish information to 3rd parties specified on the FERPA Student Information Release Form.’

For more information and detail about FERPA, please click here to visit the CPO’s Website.

Complete Withdrawal / Leave of Absence

Students have the ability to withdraw or to request a leave of absence for the current semester or a future semester.

Undergraduate students can find more information on a complete withdrawal by visiting the Student Life website.

Graduate students can find more information on a complete withdrawal / leave of absence by visiting the Office of Graduate Studies website. 

Withdrawal Refund Policy

The amount of tuition and fee assessments is based on primarily on each student’s enrolled courses. In the event a student withdraws from a course(s), assessments will be adjusted as follows: 

  • If withdrawal from a course(s) is made prior to the end of the add/drop period for the term of enrollment, as determined by the Registrar, tuition and fees will be adjusted to the new course hours without penalty. 
  • If withdrawal from a course(s) is made after the add/drop period for the term of enrollment, regardless of whether or not the student officially withdraws from Mines, no adjustments in charges will be made. 

Please note: Students receiving federal financial aid under the Title IV programs may have a different refund as required by federal law or regulation. 

Petition for In-State Tuition Classification

Each Colorado School of Mines student will be classified as either an “in-state resident” or a “non-resident” at the time of matriculation. These classifications are based on the student information provided on their application for admissions at Mines.

For more information and requirements for an in-state petition, click here to visit the Registrar’s website.

1098-T Information

The 1098-T provides information that a student and their families may need to complete their federal tax return. Your accountant, tax preparer, or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can best advise you in the utilization of the form when preparing your taxes.

For more information/FAQ about 1098-T, please click here.

Bursar's Office Information

📞 Phone: 303-273-3158
📧 Email:

Hours of Operation

Bursar's Office
🕔Monday - Friday 8AM-5PM

Cashier's Office
🕔Monday - Friday 8AM-4PM

📍 Ben Parker Student Center
Suite #E172

Student Login

Authorized User Login

Bursar Office

1200 16th St. Suite #E172

Golden, CO 80401

Financial Aid Office

📞 303-273-3301

Residence Life (Housing)

📞 303-869-LIFE (5433)

Registrar's Office

📞 303-273-3200

Student Health Center

📞 303-273-3388