Changing Degree Levels, Adding a Degree Program, Withdrawing from Program

Change a Degree Level

Students wanting to change a degree level must do the following:

Submit the Degree Level Change Request form. This form is only for students changing degree levels in the same major, master’s changing their major, or PhD students changing to a master’s in either the same major or a related one.

If you are currently enrolled in master’s degree or certificate program and wish to add/enroll in a PhD degree, then you must apply online.

Do not use this form if you are currently enrolled in PhD and wish to add a master’s degree or a certificate program, submit a master’s along the way or certificate along the way.  Note: You may also need to submit a new Degree Audit Form for new degree level or new major if one was already submitted prior to making change.

Important: If changing majors for a master’s degree, you must attach a “What-If” Degree Works degree evaluation for the new MS degree title. 

Note: All students submitting this form may also need to submit a new Degree Audit Form if one was already submitted prior to making the change in degree level

PhD students wanting to add a master’s degree with the exact same degree title (PhD in Electrical Engineering adding an MS in Electrical Engineering) must:

Add a Degree Program

Students wanting to add degree programs must do the following:

Submit a new application online for the new degree program for the following conditions:

  • If currently in PhD degree program and adding any Master’s degree program with a different degree title
  • If currently in any Master’s degree program and adding a PhD degree program

Consult the new degree program/department to determine which components of the application they will require.

Withdraw from a Program

The Withdrawal from a Graduate Program form initiates a request from a student to withdraw one of his/her degree programs.

Note: This form is only to be used by students currently enrolled in more than one degree program and wishing to withdraw from only one program.  If you wish to withdraw from school, please use the Withdraw from Graduate School Form.

To make this request:

  • Download the Withdrawal from a Program form
  • Complete, print and sign the form
  • Obtain signatures from the program in which you are withdrawing (Do not submit this form with signatures from the program you are keeping):
    • Your advisor
    • Program Director/Department Head
  • Submit form to the Office of Graduate Studies